The early history of mojacar dates back approximately 2000 BC to the present Mojácar has managed to maintain his legacy, and now saved as elsewhere in Andalusia a singular fidelity Arab past.
Mojácar was an exceptional site to dominate the horizon, its location and geographical position Mojácar has been highly valued and appreciated by many peoples who settled in the region about 2000 BC.
The Phoenicians (1100 BC) and argárica culture of the Bronze Age (2000 BC) called it Murgis. When the Greeks occupied the region’s people called it Murgis Akra (Murgis in height), hence its Latin derivation, Mucacra and Arabic Moxacar, giving rise to its current name of Mojácar.
Mojácar was flourishing city well into the eighteenth century, in the military, civil and ecclesiastical. The population reached estimated at 10,000 people. Towards the middle of the eighteenth century began the decline of the city. Severe droughts that deplete the agricultural people are the reason for the exodus to South America and then to Catalonia and Europe. Depopulation acquired alarming character. But the miracle came in the form of tourism, far from destroying the true physiognomy of the town and its people has ensured that visitors continue admiring its past, its architecture, its white houses and the openness of people who inherited tolerance and coexistence of different cultures and religions.